Corrections of Concepts!
Our youth is our future. They are the seeds that will one day flourish and prosper into the garden of tomorrow. They are expected to become the next generation leaders in our society. However, before they mature, they will need proper nurturing and loving care. Our youth needs to be loved, educated and disciplined. Unfortunately, society has created numerous unfavorable pitfalls that force many youths to abandon hopes to lead a normal life and search for salvation in the world of crimes and gangs.
Youth in criminal activities is a real issue that affects great number of U.S. families where youths face prison terms that later influence their life. Although youth gang activities grew in numbers and sizes across the U.S., criminal behavior and violence they generate is little known. The dynamics that drive their circumstances and growth is highly essential pro prevent.
Gateway Institute has programs deal with preventing violence related with gang and extremism idiologies and activities. Teenagers usually struggle to define themselves and their place in the world. They make a decision to associate with a certain groups because its members share similar beliefs, attitudes or interests.
Under such circumastances, teens look to others to fulfill their basic needs as companionship, understanding and emotional support. And when parents are not met these needs sufficiently, teens become vulnerable to joining gangs.
Among the youth leadership training include interpersonal conflict to examine:
1. The Nature of Conflicts;
2. Perspective on Conflicts;
3. Interestes and Goals;
4. Power: The Structure of Conflicts
5. Conflict Styles
6. Emotions in Conflicts
7. Analyzing Your Conflicts
8. Interpersonal Negotiation
9. Third-Party Intervention
10. The Practice of Forgiveness and Reconciliation
Religion extremism is the first issue that most of youths decents from East African and the Somalis in particular dealt with. It affacts youths and younger men who don't have enough knowledge on Islam which make them venerable to those extremists who focus too narrowly on certain aspects on Islam to justify their cause of violence. Rehabilitating youths start with acceptance. It's activities will be combated by understanding. Below is the program that deals with preventing violence related with religion extremism.
1. Providing youth violence and crime prevention workshops with the empesis of civic education, job development including soft skills, financial literacy, and entrepreneurship training.
2. Supporting parent's engagement on thier child's education activities to close accademic achivement gap among all student groups.
3. Insuring all students attain the hightes level of achivement and become contributing member of society.
4. Providing soft skill training that improves interpersonal work place skills by understanding how their personal beliefs may conflict with the unspoken rules of the work place.
5. Identifying literature that focuses too narowly on certain aspects on Islam that those extremists have used to justify their cause of violence.
6. Promoting peace and preventing youth radicalization by identifying Islamic extremism interdependency stages.